Monday, August 16

Stark of Winterfell Raving Mad



Last night I started reading George R.R. Martin's fantasy novel, Game of Thrones. I've been hearing great things about this book from Dean, Gig and Vin for the longest time, so when I saw a copy at the National Book Fair, I got it.
The book's a pretty fast and easy read- a high-level tale that revolves around the powerful and embattled Starks of Winterfell, a noble family as hard and cold as the land they rule. When the Starks' patriarch, Eddard Stark, is offered a position of power by the King, it starts a deadly contest between the Starks, their allies, their enemies... quite literally, a game of thrones.

The novel is pretty entertaining- the setting is interesting and the politically-charged plots and subplots, including a growing threat of supernatural forces and a threat of invasion from overseas mixes with more personal tales of ambition and adversity. It's not your fireball-and-orc horde type of fantasy world; there are only hints of magic and dragons are extinct, but I find myself turning page after page. Good stuff!

Depending on how fast I finish the first part, I guess I'll be on the lookout for the next two parts of the saga. Only one problem though...

HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO GET ANY COMICS DONE WITH THIS DARN BOOK TAKING UP ALL MY TIME???

No comments: