Friday, July 29

Bouncy Brawling in my Pocket


Sexy 3D fighting just became portable.

Okay, I have finally validated my status as a Dead or Alive fanatic. I not only bring around videos of Tecmo’s flagship fighter around for anytime watching, or use wallpapers of the DOA girls from time to time… now I can actually play DOA on my phone. Yep, ON MY PHONE. The original game on the Playstation 1 (and my all-time favorite of the series, honestly). It’s all thanks to fpsece, a cool freeware Playstation emulator that’s available online. Install this baby on your pocket pc and you’re good to go. Well, not really… you also have to track down several things, like all the apps you’ll need to create your own ISOs (basically the actual PS1 game compressed into a readable format, which are not easily found), some files that will make the app usable, and of course the know-how to actually do these things.

It took me several weeks (I discovered it all some time ago), but I finally found everything and was able to put together a virtual PS1 in my O2 XDA II Mini. And of course, I also managed to get the damn program working properly (basically the hardest part was actually getting playable ISOs) so now, I’m dandy. The game actually looks incredible on the Mini’s screen, hi-res and pretty smooth- albeit pretty much in slow motion- but it’s actually pretty cool… like fighting in bullet time. Heh.

Not only that, but I actually have made three games portably playable- not just Dead or Alive but Final Fantasy Tactics and Capcom’s cutesy but cool Pocket Fighters. I created the ISOs myself, and now I can load them anytime I want. The only flaws being that DOA is pretty huge (at 471mb, compared to only 62.2mb for Final Fantasy Tactics and 38mb for Pocket Fighters) and the games tend to play verrrrryyyyyyy slooooooooowly…. But still playable.

Of course, I have to consider that the Mini doesn’t have too many buttons, which makes strategy games like FF Tactics easy to play. Also, games using overly complicated joypad motions will probably be too hard to appreciate.
Anyway, DOA is basically all forward-forward movements, plus a button or so. It’s not like Streetfighter that has diagonal directions (which are impossible to do on the PPC controls), so it’s also pretty good as a fighter; you have a wealth of moves you can do even if some of the more elaborate moves are unusable.

Now I’m raring to get my hands on as many PS1 games as I can to rip and turn them into the portable format. Final Fantasy VII? Suikoden II? Soul Edge? Mmmm. We’ll see.

It’s just so awesome. Who would ever have thought it possible? Playstation games on a damn phone!!!

WHO FRICKIN’ NEEDS A PSP?!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

No comments: