Tuesday, October 25

A K.I.A. Review from The Piglet



Here's a long overdue K.I.A. review, or at least, an attempt at it, by Fero Benedict AKA Fero McPiglet. I learned about it from Fero when we were chatting together during the Komikon. He wasn't able to email it to me when the book came out months ago, but I still told him to send it to me. It's detailed, raw and honest. All of which I appreciate. Heh.

Fun book! was surprised!

-1st story - The New Girl - six pages set the tone! Bad ass! Only thing not like is the placement of the 4th panel and secondary word balloon on the third panel. Had to double take to check if she slashed first then talked. Should be that she talked first then slashed.

- Good morning - heh funny Killed In Action toe tag. Argh on the attack her set up because I had an idea similar to that.

- Fear Itself - Simple but don't get it so much. WAs that guy in the Angel Ace issues? Don't remember. (Yes, he was 'The Suit' from Angel Ace Again. -MAD)

- Mouse Trap - funny simple little twist. I was scratching my head looking at the cat costume girl on the 5th page. It looks so familiar like a comic book costume but I can't place it. Anyway, I like. (The female Cat Ninja were based on Marvel's Hellcat. -MAD)

- Under the Influence - Nice story but I thought it went on for too long and broke the quick barrage of stories pace set by the others. It was at this point that I hated to seeing Kia's lady opponents get (bloodlessly) killed.

- Intercept - Has simply got to be the best art! non-Dimaano. But gods I wish Kia just killed that fool. He felt out of place like a Mary Sue to me. Why the heck did that have to sneak into the book?

- Battery Included - At this point, this was my fave story. Mini K.I.A Action Figure! So cute! Wheeee!!! :P Wish there was more size reference shots though to show the mini Kia running around in the room just to see how teeny she is. Whee!!! :D Wanted to she jumping around the keyboard acrobatic fashion like a small playground. Love the parting shot. Aaaaw poor little bitty Kia toy! Poor thing! (darn it, I want an Aquaman figure)

- Dreamkiller - I liked this one because the fight reminded me of a Playstation RPG whatever type game when you meet the boss and she transforms into her next form for the final fight. It's so game like with the base exploding too. Like the twist too hehehee :P Just thought that the thugs in the beginning weren't necessary or Kia should have killed them right off.

- Victors and Victims - the story was kinda long but I liked it! Replaced as my fave for the book. JLU's The Cat and the Canary and all those other Roulette fights that are a story standard. wrestling Kia! It's like all those Ghost Fighter, Shaman King, Zoids, Flame of Recca, DragonballZ type stuff. And I love Princess Pure! She's a nice girl! One dimensional until later. Love the buzz. Love the vengeance. Love that Princess Pure is so nice. It's strange but I like her better than Angel Ace. Love the ending. Me like :) (Well, actually Pure IS supposed to emulate Angel's character, that's something Kai doesn't miss either)

- Invitation - the storytelling fractures made be go back and forth for a bit but the plot is easy enough. And FUN! This became my favorite story because it had most of the elements that I was looking for. And nice art too. Superhero-ish plot, fun and interesting villainesses, rush intercuts with action. A bit of silliness on the repetition and it had a fuzzy monster in it! Too bad it got hurt though! Poor monster! Anyway, really like this one. I want to give the quarter ladies silly
names! The first on is Ringlette, then Arm'ress, then Hat-tra, and Staffanie.

- Zinderneuf - had to re look again since it was heavy. Interesting. And again got the manga texture like Intercept did. I think it would have had more impact on me if the commander was identified. Was she seen before? I don't know. (Er, the commander was Vanya. Better re-read that K.I.A., Fero...)

- BTW, the lesbian overtone pin-up is my fave (Thank Taga-Ilog for that hot piece of art -MAD). Strange as it seems. Also the first one since it looks comic book-ish.

- Freedom - liked this story too. Love the first death. Love the second death. Twist is visible but love it anyway. Liked this one too. Gave very nice close full circle to the whole book. Paused at that 'given powers' part. What powers? (The ability to stand up even after having a knife shoved into your ribcage...)

- Shock to the System - Got fuzzy here. The heart blade was just a memory, right? Along with long haired lady? So I should think the the stab would be from the front instead of coming from the back. (Flipped back to previous Freedom story again and noticed that the blood disappeared on her chest btw) (Yes, even Kai's costume is 'self-healing'. It's made of a kind of smartfabric... incidentally, the same cloth that the wraps around her legs are made of)

Book is a LOT of FUN! We should have more of this! BTw, wish the back had more descriptions about the book instead of just listing out creators. Some of the descriptions in the foreword and afterwords should have been written there really.


Great review, Fero! Thanks.

K.I.A. is available NOW at Comic Quest Branches. Php160 pages, B/W interiors with full color cover. Get it now if you haven't already, people!

No comments: