Tuesday, August 3

Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Yesterday Animax started their english era of anime. This seems to go for all the primetime series, though some shows like Lamu the Invader Girl are still in Japanese. I was able to watch an episode of the english-dubbed Getbackers, and I have to say... it's not as bad as I thought.
Still, while Getbackers has a decent cast of voice actors who try their best, they don't quite get the personalities and quality of the emotions in the original Japanese dub. More often than not, the characters are a bit off- a Ginji's a bit too goofy, Ban's not macho enough, Kadzuki's too masculine, Shido's not hard enough, Jackal's not creepy enough... or worse, sound too muck alike. The female characters fare better on the most part. But at least the lines are decent.

I guess I can get used to it... of course, I still prefer the Japanese original dialogue. That's the purist otaku in me talking. On the other hand, I guess a lot more people can watch the show easier. There's always anime VCDs and DVDs for me to turn to when one can't stands no more.

No comments: