Saturday, October 16

FINALLY

... I got to watch Hero today on DVD. I've been holding off on watching it for months and months. No particular reason for the procrastination... I just never got to it. I guess watching House of Flying Daggers yesterday put me in the mood. Well, how did I like it? A lot, actually. To compare this film to House would be a bit unfair, but it's inescapable. Jet Li, Gong Li and the rest of the cast (Zhang Ziyi as well, in a minor role) are great, and the art direction, fight scenes and production are simply magnificent. The story as well is epic and brings forth a powerful message, and the whole presentation- told in various ways and versions leading up to the final truth and the story's resolution, made for a gripping watch. Beautiful.

I wonder if our country could can up with a signature film like this. No martial arts or flashy wirework, mind you- just something that fits the people, the country and our culture and way of life. I don't think it has happened yet, nor will it these days. But maybe someday, someone will finally give the Philippines a Hero.

No comments: