Friday, May 27

Movie Meme

Passed to me by Vin.

Total number of films I own on DVD/Video:

About a shelf-full of dvds, mixing both bootlegs and some choice, prized originals such as the entire Lord of the Rings Extended DVD Sets. A cabinet more of crappy VCDs and a couple of boxes worth of VHS anime (a holdout from the early 90s).

The Last Film I Bought:

VCDs of Raiders of the Lost Ark (a steal for P75!) and Doll Master (SUCKS).

Films that I watch or mean a LOT to me:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
What can I say? The perfect adaptation of one of the best fantasy sagas of our time. I've always said in my youth, I've never seen a film that really captures the images that I myself see in my head when I imagine high fantasy. That was before I saw Peter Jackson's interpretation of J.R.R. Tolkien's visions on the screen. Magnificent.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The perfect action-adventure film. Nuff said.

Battle Royale
This film just blew me away the first time I saw it. Still does today. I love this for the courage, the starkness and the sheer Japanese-y balls that made it happen. Which is probably why I can't bring myself to watch the watered-down sequel.

Kung Fu Hustle
Stephen Chow's martial arts opus is just a riot. Dancing gangsters? Death by Harp? Hidden warriors? Martial arts magic up the wazoo? Sold. The film that proved that not all Asian kung fu epics have to be serious Wuxia dramas.

The Fifth Element
A live action anime if I ever saw one. Good-natured adventure and fun with incredible visuals, a cool story and Milla Jovovich in nothing but bandages. Yum.

Twister
Guilty pleasure fun. Mindless action with lots of gravy (literally, too). Just turn off brain. Watch.

Ninja Scroll
THE anime movie to watch in the 90s stilll holds up excellently today. Incredible action and animation that should convert anyone who thinks that cartoons are just for kids. Bloody incredible and still unequalled in many ways today even by the latest anime features.

Sneakers
Lovely, funny and cool caper movie and one of my old faves back in my college days. Really cool music too.

Dungeons and Dragons
I keep a copy to remind me how NOT to do a fantasy film. Watching LOTR afterwards is even more pleasurable.

The Princess Bride
Understated classic. Perfect casting, nice laughs, great dialogue and action, and perhaps one of the coolest lines in film. "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Silence of the Lambs
The first film that introduced us to Hannibal Lecter is still the best despite a couple of sequel/prequels. Fascinating, scary and gripping from beginning to end. The perfect thriller.

Who would I pass this to? Well, most of them have already answered this meme. Anyway, I guess I could pass it to Jeremy and Budjette. Ah, movies. What's next after Episode 3? Well, Sin City and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, both out this June.

No comments: