Sunday, August 1

The Big Picture

I just took impulse buying to a whole new level, I think.

I bought a new TV.

Well, really, it's not like I just saw a nice TV and thought out of the blue "I want a new TV!" and just bought it. No. Not really. In fact, I've actually been thinking of getting a new set for quite some time now. For the past few months I've been looking around at appliance and electronics stores. I've even asked about getting a big-ass, widescreen TV from The Docks down at Old Manila. I've heard you can, if you're lucky, get big-screen Japanese surplus TVs for a song. But then, I didn't know spit about anything in that quarter, and as my brother said, "You get what you pay for." So, it wasn't really a realistic option to take.
So, when I finally saw a nice, fairly big FLATSCREEN TV yesterday that I could actually afford, I was ready to go for it.

Since it would be pretty awkward, not to mention really morale-breaking, to plunk down almost 30K in cash right there and then, I planned on using a credit card. My mom's, actually, since she had more credit than I had. I'd just pay her the installments, she gets extra points or rebates for using her card, we (more I than anything else) get a big-ass new TV. Everyone's happy!
Better yet, we turned it into a family outing- My brother, his kids, my mom and me packed ourselves into my sister's utility vehicle (which was luckily available) and we were off to Megamall. While we were waiting for the whole transaction to be completed, we gaped slack-jawed at a HUGE Plasma Widescreen Monitor that showed a crystal-clear picture with FLAWLESS color... and it should, considering it cost a mere Php 372,000.00. OUCH.
After we were done, I treated my folks to dinner at President's, the excellent Chinese restaurant on the 4th Floor. After dinner, we loaded up the new acquisition and headed off home.

It took my Don Bosco-alumnus bro about a half hour to assemble the TV stand, and the TV fit on like a plug into a socket. Perfect! A few seconds later, we turned it on and VOILA... A new world of entertainment. Well, really, what difference could 4 inches make, you could ask (my old TV's a 25-incher). Well, a lot, really. And the TV's flat screen really does make for a clearer picture. Better yet, games on the Xbox and PS2 should look awesome (I've already tried DOA3... MY GOSH!)... especially when I get games like Dead or Alive Ultimate, King of Fighters Maximum Impact and Tekken 5 on it in the coming months. Gaming bliss.

All things said and done, it's just a little thing. But really, it's these little things that make the difference sometimes. Heh.

No comments: