Tuesday, August 3

Clearing House, Part Deux

It's really fun to move things about in your own personal space. The end goal of course is to make things seem more ordered and neater than when you started, and when it's all over there's nothing nicer than to just lean back in a chair or on the bed and marvel at how order has triumphed over chaos.
In the aftermath of my TV acquisition, things were in turmoil. The 29-inch newcomer turned out to be thicker than the shelf space where it was supposed to go, so we couldn't just hoist it up and say 'Yay!' right away. Luckily, the TV came with a nice TV stand which was build specially for the set. After my brother assembled the stand, the TV fitted onto the top like a hand into a glove. Better yet, there was space beneath in the stand for both my Xbox and my PS2. The stand also had wheels so you could move it around easily- which was good since there were tons of connections I had to attach to the rear. It took some wire-traffic work, but finally I was able to organize stuff so I could easily switch between DVD, Gaming and VCD with little trouble.
The rest of the room had to be cleared, so I took out a few more things... like oh, stacks and stacks of old Diamond Previews which my mom eventually had given to the local municipal library- I think the kids will enjoy the art. The anime VHS and various VCDs went into boxes and are destined for garage sales. Various Playstation discs were given off for kids of my mom's friends, or sold to a gamebooth near my parent's workshop. With the sheer amount of stuff I was able to remove, The Sanctum now feels a little bit looser. I was able to shift stuff around and give stuff their own dedicated spots instead of just squeezing them all in little tight spaces.

Still, this is actually all temporary. We're actually planning on adding more shelves and cabinets, and giving the TV a more permanent space near the original spot. It will entail actual hammer-and-saw construction work, coats of paint and serious carpentry stuff I know nothing about, but in the end that should make The Sanctum look a lot better. Perhaps not as great as a place worked over by those gay guys from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but better nevertheless.

But that's a challenge for another day.

No comments: