Saturday, July 24

When it rains...

... people multiply. It's true.

Here in the Philippines, it is especially true. When it rains, even a little bit, the streets are CLOGGED with people and cars. Filipinos are like mogwai, apparently. Drop a few gallons of liquid and there seems to be too many people all at once. They stuff the MRT, they choke the streets, they fill up the malls. It's true, it's true.

Tonight, after the gang's Friday Night Out, I took a cab from the usual drop-off point. We headed off to Katipunan where the expected snarl at the road construction sites could be seen. But even as my cabbie deftly maneuvered us past incompetent slowpokes, it soon became apparent that the usual bottleneck wasn't the only thing wrong. Soon we saw that Katipunan going the opposite direction was LOCKED in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Even in our side, the buildup was beginning. Luckily, I was able to reach a safe point where I could get off and walk home. As I looked about, ALL the roads- Marcos Hiway in both directions was heavy with traffic.
Apparently this was all caused by flooding, and the resulting traffic looks insurmountable. Hopefully it'll be gone by tomorrow. Gah. I'm lucky to have gotten home quick.

Looking at that nightmare, I'm so glad I don't have a car. Really.

No comments: