Thursday, September 30

Gaming For Grownups

I realized that a lot of the games I am looking forward to in the next few weeks and months are rated Mature, thanks to elements of sexuality, violence and other mature issues. Dead or Alive Ultimate and Rumble Roses provide CG skin, while Mortal Kombat Deception and Resident Evil provide digital blood and gore. This year as well seems to be the first time a wave of games like The Guy Game, an updated Leisure Suit Larry and other nudity-promising titles are coming en masse. Interactive entertainment is worth billions (now in the league or perhaps even surpassing film and movies), and a great chunk of the audience are people who earn money and pay big bucks for games to take their minds off the daily grind.

Gaming really isn't just for kids, though that is probably not something fully understandable to a lot of parents. I remember being at Toy Kingdom a few years ago and I saw a father buying Resident Evil for a little kid. Which is probably one of the factors that make this generation the most desensitized of the lot.

Anyway, that's why with all the lovely gaming consoles in The Sanctum, my little nephews and nieces will probably never see me kicking back and kicking arse. A huge library of titles, and not one of them has the word 'Mario' or 'Sonic' on them. Heh. I wonder how long gaming will interest me? Into my forties and fifties, perhaps? Who knows. Since entertainment has a lot to do with drive, perhaps as long as I can feel pleasure, I will be a gamer. Because if you can't enjoy something, why play at all?

No comments: