Wednesday, February 28

Astonishing

One of the few comic titles I am still collecting AND reading immediately is Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday. The writing of every issue is trademark Whedon, with sharp, snappy dialogue and gorgeous art that is ripe with great facial expressions to hard-hitting action. For a series that gets pretty serious and bleak at times, things can suddenly go in a totally different direction in a heartbeat, and I also found myself laughing out loud at several points in some really good gags and humorous moments. I really love the return of Colossus, having Kitty Pryde be a kick-arse heroine and the portrayals of Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast and Wolverine. Love the new character of Hisako AKA Armor.

The arc, and Whedon's run with the series will apparently end with issue 24, but I hope that he continues with the title (and Cassaday with him) indefinitely. This book is just that good. I seriously want to emulate the writing and characterization in Astonishing- it's so entertaining and tight. I guess I should really seriously consider actually writing SCRIPTS for my comics. Heh.

No comments: